26 February 2020

Stupid fix, but it works: How I keep from losing my 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter

My 20-year-old headphones came with a threaded 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter (Fig. 1). I have misplaced it several times in the past, despite my best efforts. I usually avoid losing it by putting it in only one spot when not in use: in my little box o' adapters. That doesn't always happen if the box o' adapters is not within easy reach or when I'm in a rush, so I occasionally cannot find it when I need it. 

Fig. 1. Threaded 1/8"-to1/4" adapter

To ensure I have a convenient and secure place to keep it when not in use, I taped an old input jack (an incredibly inferior one removed from a Silvertone bass) to the side of the head band (Fig. 2). Now I just plug the adapter into that when I'm not using it. 

Fig. 2. Adapter holder, sans adapter
I loosened the tension on the jack a little, so that it's secure enough to hold the adapter, but not so tight that I would need two hands to remove it.

Fig. 3. Adapter holder, with adapter
The only danger now is the glasses-on-my-head scenario—looking all over for my lost adapter when it's plugged into the jack on my headphones. Hasn't happened yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

No comments: